Monday 9 January 2017

30/30 January Challenge #9

After I posted my first Black and White piece, the Oriental Poppy (challenge #5), Nelvia commented that she could see the poppy filled in with red. So, I decided, 'Why not?'
#987 - Poppies in Red - 5 x 7 watercolour
I didn't want to have the same picture so I checked my files for some different views of poppies.

Once the drawing was done, I added the dark paint which I make by mixing Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna, then I added the colour.
Base colour
The cool thing about painting this way, if you have the tones right the first time adding the colour is a piece of cake. Of course, I had to cut a new mat as the others where all used on the black and white paintings.

Pop over to Leslie's 30/30 page to see what the other artists have been doing in this challenge and tune in here for tomorrow's instalment.

6 comments:

  1. Oouuuu! Love the color. Love the expressive leaves... looks like they are dancing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila. I like the idea of the leaves dancing.

      Delete
  2. Hey it works, but I like the black and white too. It is just if you add color it gets yummy. You are using the old master technique of grisaille. Did you glaze or hard paint over the black/white? If you add glazes it feels just like magic as the color comes to life. I really like this. But watch listening to me as I might get you into trouble!!!! :D) Nice work Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nelvia. I figured it was grisaille but have never studied about the technique so I wasn't sure. I think I used a combination of glazing and hard paint with blending but so much of my painting is just doing without know what to call what I am doing - lol. BTW I listened to someone else for my newest piece so if trouble comes my way I have more than one to blame. Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. The color really makes this stand out!!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete